This is an interdisciplinary approach in the deliberate and strategic construction of menus.
Sometimes called ‘Menu Psychology’, the term menu engineering is generally adopted as a standard Best Practice within the Hospitality and Restaurant Industries. The objective with menu engineering is to maximize a concept’s profitability by leading the customer to certain purchases, and avoiding others, in addition to ‘engineering’ recipes to maximize profits at product and category level.
Menu Engineering is comprised of five key areas:
- Psychology (perception, attention, emotion/effect)
- Recipe construction and the best balance between quality and cost
- Managerial Accounting (contribution margin and unit cost analysis)
- Marketing & Strategy (pricing, promotion)
- Graphic Design (layout, typography)